Harrison Ford talks new Indiana Jones movie

photo courtesy of LA Times
photo courtesy of LA Times

Harrison Ford has discussed the possibility of reprising his classic role of daredevil adventurer Indiana Jones for a fifth time. In an interview with EW , the veteran actor was promoting his upcoming return to another legendary role,  in the highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens, when he was asked about starring in another Indiana Jones film.

Ford said:

“Oh, yeah. Yeah, I’d love to do another Indiana Jones. A character that has a history and a potential, kind of a rollicking good movie ride for the audience, Steven Spielberg as a director — what’s not to like?”

photo courtesy of Lucasfilm
photo courtesy of Lucasfilm

Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm for a whopping $4.05 billion back in 2012 , there has been tonnes of speculation as to whether or not we’d see Ford return for a new Indiana Jones installment as well as coming back for a new Star Wars movie. Ford’s latest comments don’t give us a definitive answer, but they certainly tell us that if the stars were to align for a fresh Indiana Jones film, he’d no doubt be on board.

Earlier this year, in an interview with Rolling Stone, Lucasfilm president Kathellen Kennedy said this about a possible new Indiana Jones film:

“When it will happen, I’m not quite sure. We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it.”

 When promoting his Tom Hanks-starring film Bridge of Spies,  the director of all four Indiana Jones films Steven Speilberg added more fuel to the fire when he said:

We’ve gotta figure this out because now. Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies. Now I’ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison. It’ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom… [Then] I’ve got to make another one with Tom, so that will be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!”

Who knows whether we’ll see the 73 year old Ford once again don the iconic fedora and whip, but one things for sure, I can’t wait to see him as Han Solo side by side with Chewbacca in The Force Awakens.

hansolochewie
photo courtesy of Lucasfilm/Disney

In his conversation with EW, Ford talked about if there’d be a change in Han Solo from the last time we saw him :

“No, there’s not an abandoning of the character. He does not aspire to the position of Obi-‘Ben’ Kenobi, nor do I aspire to be some New Age Alec Guinness. His development is consistent with the character, and there are emotional elements which have occasioned his growth.”

“We spend a lot more time [in the movie] on his failure to master basic skills, like accounting. And accounting for his own behavior. There’s a lot of the rogue still left in Solo. Some things don’t change.”

You can check out the full EW interview here.

Ford on the cover of EW as Han Solo photo courtesy of EW
Ford on the cover of EW as Han Solo
photo courtesy of EW

Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens hits screen on December 18.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s